Story Patch Version 1.1 is now available!

I am glad to announce that Story Patch version 1.1 is now available for download in the App Store. This release came in a bit behind schedule because of the birth of our first child, but I think it is worth the wait. Speaking of our child, fatherhood is great and I can’t believe how amazing our daughter is. :)

Here are all of the things that you will find in this version:

Image Search--With over 800 illustrations available in Story Patch, it was becoming a little overwhelming for kids and parents to find the illustrations they wanted quickly. Now when you click on an image category in the Tools menu you will see a search bar at the top of the menu. Search for images by name, category, and color. Hopefully this will make finding images a lot easier and your kids can spend time being creative and not scrolling through menus to find artwork in the application. I also took some time to get my process in place for adding new illustrations to the application as a result of adding the search feature. This means that in future versions it will be much easier to expand the graphics library included with Story Patch.

Interface Improvements--Some feedback I received from users was that the controls for scaling and rotating the illustrations were sometimes difficult for kids to use. I put in some new controls that allow much finer control of the scaling/rotating operations. To access these features, hold your finger on one of the illustrations. In addition to the Delete/Flip/Move To Front/Move To Back controls, you will now see two slider controls for scale and rotation. Use these sliders to get the illustration looking exactly the way you want it. My friends’ kids that I tested this with really seemed to like the new controls, so I hope you will too!

New Status Indicator--This was a minor addition, but when sharing a story there was no indication that Story Patch was “doing something” while it converted the story to a PDF file. With a very short story, this was not a big deal since the conversion was nearly instantaneous. However, as stories got longer, or had a lot of illustrations, the conversion could take a few seconds and during this time it appeared that the program had frozen. A new status indicator appears now to let users know that the PDF file is being created so they know what is going on.

Bug Fixes--I fixed some bugs I found that could cause Story Patch to crash in some instances. Also fixed an issue where repeated scaling of images would cause distortion of images. This is not something users will see, but I also did some clean up on code that I was not happy with and now be easier for me to maintain. One bug users will notice being fixed is that there were some spelling errors in a few of the story themes that come with Story Patch. These should all be fixed now, but if I missed something please let me know!


Here are the things that did not make it in to this release that I originally planned to do:

More Story Themes--I was not able to add more story themes to this release due to time constraints with our baby being born. Now that my wife and I are settling in to being parents of a newborn, we should be able to create some more themes for the next update of Story Patch.

More Illustrations--Version 1.2 should have more illustrations included with it. With some of the changes I made to version 1.1, it should be much easier to expand the image library in future releases. If there are certain illustrations you would like to see added to the application, let me know on our feedback form.


In general I am quite happy with this latest release of Story Patch, and I hope all of our users are too. Work is starting on version 1.2 now, so stay tuned for another release with more features very soon. As usual, thanks to everyone that has purchased Story Patch!